If you have had a flood where you received some property damage from standing water, you will want to have it removed as soon as you possibly can so that the damage does not increase. Leaving standing water can be very devastating; the sooner it is removed, the better. Here are some ideas you can use when removing water from your home.
Make Sure To Be Safe
Turn off all power to the affected area. The risk of electrocution is too great to take the risk of keeping the electricity on. You will need to use extension cords to bring lighting into the area, if needed. There are also special power adapters that can be used with the cigarette lighter in your vehicle.
Removing The Water
To remove water from your home, you can enlist the help of some friends and have everyone use buckets to scoop out water to bring outdoors. Everyone will need to be wearing waders and gloves so that the water does not touch the skin. This is a time-consuming process, but eventually the water level will go down. When it is at an attainable level, you can use mops to sop up some of the water. You can also use a wet dry vacuum to get the last amounts.
If you have access to a water pump, it will be a much faster process in removing the water. You will need to use an outside power source. Make sure you put the hose that redirects the water, far from the foundation of your home, in a manner where the water will be flowing in a direction that it will not back up against your home. Professionals, such as Sparklean Restoration, will have specialized equipment and skills if you find yourself lacking.
Drying The Area
When all the water has been removed, you will want to set up a bunch of fans in the area so that they help to dry everything. You may want to remove all carpeting, as the padding underneath can act as a sponge, keeping the area moist and building up with dangerous mold. Use dehumidifiers in the room to help in drying. Leave open several windows so that the process is done in a quick manner.
You will want to clean all areas where water has touched the surface. Use a heavy-duty detergent and spray on all the areas. Wipe off with a clean cloth. Apply a commercial grade mildew repellent to these areas, as well. You will want to ward off the growth of black mold, which is very harmful when left in the home.